- Take Action
- Workers Memorial Week
- Food Workers
- Your Rights
You are here
Workers' Memorial Week 2017
Workers Memorial Week will be observed April 23 - April 30, 2017.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
We invite you to organize an action or event to commemorate fallen workers and build awareness to promote healthy and safe workplaces.
Have an event planned for 2017? Let us know about it.
WORKERS' MEMORIAL DAY RESOURCES AND MATERIALS
- Telling Our Stories -- Tips to Writing a Workers' Memorial Week Report
- Information Sources on Fatalities for Workers' Memorial Day Reports
- US Worker Fatality database
- Video: "Our Loved Ones Died in Unsafe Workplaces"
- Family Resource Guide
- Photos from Workers' Memorial Week events
- National COSH 2016 Workers Memorial Week report
- National COSH 2015 Workers Memorial Week report
- English-language and Spanish-language flyers from AFL-CIO
- AFL-CIO Worker Memorial Day Resources
- Briefing on Toxic Work: An ITUC Briefing explaining why trade unions must mobilize for protecting workers from hazardous substances, with key facts and figures.
- Pennsylvania AFL-CIO Workers' Memorial Day Resolution
- San Francisco Labor Council Workers' Memorial Day Resolution
- 2016 Presidential Proclamation on Workers Memorial Day
NEED IDEAS FOR AN ACTION? HERE ARE SOME TO GET YOU STARTED…
- Hold a memorial breakfast, rally, or candlelight vigil to honor the dead and fight for the living.
- Visit your elected officials, and tell them that safe work saves lives.
- Hold a training, teach-in, informative talk, or discussion group at your school, workplace, or union about worker fatalities and how to make workplaces safer.
- Write an op-ed or letter to the editor for your local paper, highlighting local workplace fatalities and prevention strategies.
- Make a Workers' Memorial Week banner, and hang it where it can be widely seen.
- Reach out to family members who lost loved ones; include their stories in public education programs.
- These are just some suggestions, but feel free to be creative!
MEDIA OUTREACH TOOLS
- National COSH Media Advisory Template (send about a week before your event, then again day or two before event)
- National COSH Press Release Template (send day of event/action)
- National COSH Tips for Writing Letters to the Editor and Op-Eds (send several days in advance of event/action to try to have it run day of the event/action)
QUESTIONS? DO YOU NEED SUPPORT ORGANIZING AN EVENT? PLEASE CONTACT:
Peter Dooley, email@example.com.