RAISE AWARENESS – IDEAS FOR WORKERS’ MEMORIAL WEEK EVENTS
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
We invite you to organize an event to commemorate fallen workers and promote healthy and safe workplaces.
- We will update our event page when plans start getting finalized.
- Got an event planned? Let us know here!
NEED IDEAS FOR AN EVENT? HERE ARE SOME TO GET YOU STARTEDâ€¦
Large or small, events raise public awareness that workplace injuries, illness and fatalities are NOT accidents – they are senseless, preventable tragedies. We encourage everyone who cares about worker safety and health to participate however they can.
In-person event ideas:
- Make a Workers’ Memorial Week banner, and hold/hang it where it can be widely seen;
- Display posters with the faces and/or names of workers who died from work-related injuries/illnesses or injured/sick workers;
- Prepare an altar dedicated to workers killed at work;
- Die-in at a park or other outdoor open area;
- Installation with caskets / boots / scrubs / flowers or other representing lives lost or injuries / illnesses related to work;
- Caravan for workers’ lives
Digital local event ideas:
- Hold a training, teach-in, or discussion group about worker injuries and illnesses and how preventable these are.
- Organize a delegation to meet with elected officials to get their support for health and safety legislation.
- Get a proclamation passed in the City, County or governmental agency.
- Local unions and central labor councils can also pass resolutions and proclamations to recognize Workers’ Memorial Week.
- Get faith leaders to include messaging about workplace safety as part of services and worship during Workers’ Memorial Week.
- Reach out to family members who lost loved ones; include their stories in public education programs
- Hold a memorial breakfast, rally, or candlelight vigil to honor the dead and fight for the living
- Publish and announce names of workers injured or killed on the job at public hearing (e.g. city council)
- Connect to regional or national programs to participate and share activities and build momentum
- Mobilize your members/networks to share their stories on social media